Small-batch, hand roasted
At J. B. Peel we carry on a tradition thirty years in the making. We source the finest green coffees available from around the world and roast them in small batches every day to ensure you enjoy the freshest and most delicious cup of coffee available.
William Jameison grew up in Rhinebeck, and worked much of his life in restaurants: first in Rhinebeck and Kingston, and later down in Florida.
He and his wife, Alexandria, met while opening the Flying Fish Café, a restaurant in Walt Disney World. They married, had two kids, and lived for a decade-and-a-half in Florida, before moving back to the Hudson Valley about 10 years ago. William now manages Rhinebeck Wine & Liquor, while Alexandria works as a teacher with immigrant and refugee children in the Albany area.
The couple had purchased their morning cup o’ joe from JB Peel, a long running, small batch coffee company in Red Hook (favorite brews: Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and the Tivoli Roast). So when Alexandria noticed a tiny for-sale flier last winter in the store, the Jameisons reached out.
Owner, roaster, and proprietor Gil Klein, it turned out, was very sick, and in the last stages of a battle with cancer. Klein, a roaster and flavored-tea maker in California, had founded the company in 1989 with its namesake, Jeremy Peel, a Kenyan-born Englishman who had grown up on a coffee plantation and who wanted to move into full-time roasting. Peel passed away in 1991, leaving Klein to develop and grow the business into what it is today, making custom blends for local restaurants and generally pioneering house-roasted coffee at a time when such things were not terribly common on the east coast.
Places you can find JB Peel coffee
- Adams Fairacre Farms Kingston
- Adams Fairacre Farms Newburg
- Adams Fairacre Farms Poughkeepsie
- Adams Fairacre Farms Wappingers
- Another Paradise Cove in Long Lake
- Canada Lake Store in Caroga Lake
- Cascades in Hudson
- Cheese Louise
- Cornwall Coffee Co. & Mercantile
- Espresso Cafe at Bearsville in Woodstock
- The Farmer's Wife in Ancramdale
- Greig Farm
- Inn the Woods Bed & Breakfast in Hyde Park
- Jaeger Haus
- Little Apple Cafe in Woodstock
- Love Apple Farms in Ghent
- Meisner's Heritage Farm
- Millbrook Golf & Tennis
- Otto's Market in Germantown
- Red Hook Raiders High School
- Saunderskill Farm in Accord
- Serevan Restaurant in Amenia
- Shawn's Fresh Fish at Migliorelli's in Mt. Tremper